Kathe Hickey, Chair Person
Kathe Hickey is a Physical Therapist, and a National and International Paralympic Classifier for Track and Field and a Classification Reviewer for Wheelchair Basketball. Being active in FWWAA gives her an opportunity to give back to the community using her skills as a Physical Therapist. She believes that sports are especially important for disabled youth because it provides them with all the benefits that their able bodied counterparts get to experience – and there are limited opportunities for participation in traditional after school programs.
Contact Kathe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jillian deBar, Vice Chair – Sport and Program Development
Jillian deBar is a graduate of California State University Monterey Bay. She holds a Bachelors in Liberal Studies, a minor in Human Movement, and an Associates degree in Adapted Fitness Therapy. She is the newest elected board member, and has been volunteering her time with Far West’s junior athletes since 2011. Jill is passionate about Therapeutic Recreation and the experiences and programs that Far West is able to offer athletes who have physical disabilities.
Contact Jillian at email@example.com.
Anna Ryan, Secretary/Treasurer
Anna Ryan is a college student, an adapted athlete, an owner trained service dog handler, and a member of the Spina Bifida Association’s adult council. She has been involved with Far West since 1995, having been part of Wheels On Fire, social media, and Junior Sports Camp. She is extremely dedicated to Far West’s vision for adapted athletes in the Bay Area, and has credited Far West as the inspiration for her future career in Recreational Therapy.
Contact Anna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advisory Board Members
- Dominique Pacolba, City of San Jose Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services
- Lauri Yarwasky, City of San Jose Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services
- Christy Matta, City of San Jose Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services
- Nancy Megginson, PhD, Professor of Kinesiology, Cal State University, San Jose
- Adam Elix, Adaptive PE Specialists, East Side Union High School District
- Bill Schaefer, Adaptive PE Specialists, East Side Union High School District
- Pamela J. Redding, Event Director, Valor Games Far West